Fire at Beaumont Leys home sparked by mobility scooter

The fire service has shared pictures of a house fire in Beaumont Leys, Leicester, yesterday afternoon which is thought to have been started by a fault with a mobility scooter.

Two occupants of the home in Lewis Close were rescued by other members of the public after a fire started in the rear garden of the home and spread to both the house and the roof of a neighbouring property.

Fire crews from across the city fought the blaze and remained at the scene for more than six hours.

The fire service said the cause was believed to be an electrical fault from an electrical mobility scooter that was charging.

There was “severe fire, heat and smoke damage caused to a large proportion of the property of origin plus some damage to the soffits of neighbouring property” according to the fire service.

Western Fire Station shared these images on Twitter, which show the damage as seen from the rear of the property.

The crew from Western Fire Station were among five sent to the blaze after a number of 999 calls were received at 1.40pm yesterday.

Firefighters' pictures show damage in Beaumont Leys blaze
The fire is believed to have started outside at the rear of the property
(Image: Leicestershire Fire and Rescue Service)

Leicestershire Fire and Rescue Service said in its report on the incident: “Upon approach fire crews confirmed a large plume of black smoke could be seen.

“An external fire at the rear of the property had spread to the house and neighbouring property.

“All persons accounted for, two occupants were rescued and lead to safety prior to fire service arrival.”

Six firefighters in breathing apparatus entered the building and put out the blaze.

Leicestershire Live – Leicester News