A restaurant in Leicester has reopened after it was damaged in a fire eight months ago.
Golden Spice in Narborough Road went up in flames after a chip fryer caught alight causing severe damage.
The flat above the restaurant suffered smoke damage and the residents were made homeless as a result.
Fortunately, staff at the takeaway and the occupants of the flat above were all accounted for when crews arrived on the scene.
For the following eight months, the family who run the popular eatery have been working tirelessly to rebuild their livelihood.
The Covid pandemic further devastated owners as every process was delayed.
Owner of Golden Spice, Jas Cheema says she feels “honoured and privileged” that so many customers have waited for them to reopen.
Subscribe to receive Leicestershire headlines straight to your inbox – for free
For an easy way to stay on top of Leicestershire’s biggest news, get the latest headlines delivered straight to your inbox.
Simply sign up here to get our bulletins. It’s completely free.
And if you decide you no longer want the updates – no problem. Just follow the unsubscribe link.
she was finally able to open the doors and welcome back loyal locals yesterday, Thursday, June 25.
Jas told LeicestershireLive: “I feel really quite nervous today. It feels like my first day in the shop even though I’ve had it for seven years.
“The fire devastated us and Covid had a huge impact last year as we were working to rebuild. Everything just seemed to happen all at once.
“Every process was delayed. We couldn’t contact tradesmen or get people to come out and help us.”
After the blaze, Jas made the awful discovery that because the building was so old, most of it no longer complied with current regulations.
She added: “I was not prepared to come back knowing that we were out of regulations. I wasn’t even aware of that at the time I took over the lease.
“This along with Covid is one of the reasons why it took so long before we could safely reopen again. But I’m thrilled that everything is now up to date.”
The flat above the shop which also suffered damage in the blaze remains empty.
Jas said: “It is all ready for tenants but I haven’t even been thinking about that. My main priority was to get the business back on its feet.
It took Jas and her staff a total of eight and half months to get everything back in order but they say the customers have been waiting for them the whole time.
“We are so thrilled by people’s reactions to us reopening. I’ve been working here for the last couple of weeks and people have been coming and knocking on the door, asking if we’re open yet,” Jas added.
“The phones have been ringing non-stop and we are so grateful as we start the long process of rebuilding after such a difficult year.
“I am honoured and privileged that so many people are waiting for us.”
The restaurant now also plans to start serving a breakfast menu from Monday, July 19 from 7am till 1pm.